Sunday, December 18, 2011

Sekou Came Through!

Once again God "one up'd" me! I was searching for my connection to one SekouWrites and happened upon Sekou the writers. Earlier this year, I meet a fellow mom from my daughter's daycare, Xiomara Shepard. My daughter has an instant connection to her and I soon find out that she is pregnant. Well it turns out that she is also on a journey to become a writer. Well fate would have it that in early November she delivers a beautiful little boy and guess what his name is: Sekou!

His birth led me to pay her a visit and, upon walking into her historic Harlem home I instantly know that that card led me there. We spoke about how she feels that a major part of her has been lost for the past four years and it just so happens to be four years ago that I received the card. Without knowing, we had been on a parallel journey to uncover our purpose and Sekou came through to help us take our rightful place as Harlem writers. Turns out that her father's name was Sekou and her mom put me up on the famed Harlem writer Sekou Sundiata. A google search reveals that Sundiata passed away in 2007, the year that I received the card and began my journey.

Harlem could not be speaking any louder and we are truly grateful.

1 comment:

  1. small worldisms again! eye remember taking a cave canem workshop many many moons ago with sekou (sekou writes) & too finally meeting sekou sundiata in tha flesh at another cave canem workshop he was invited ta speak at! eye smell the universe conspirin here.

    ReplyDelete